Category Archives: Blog only
This is where there’s no TV here on Huliganov TV. It gathers together in one place where I’ve just used words and images without video links.
That can be done here.
Here is my analysis of the medals table as run by Worldometer. The source data is theirs with some additional analysis by me, and in particular the countries are arranged by persons recorded to have died of Covid19, and I have added in the column deaths per case, and made a colour-scaling on the top 100 countries, by deaths, both of cases per thousand inhabitants (“C/Th”) and deaths per case as a percentage (“D/C”).
The scalings serve to assist us visually in the making of a number of observations, and namely:
1. There is little correlation between cases per thousand and deaths per case. I would have expected a slight negative correlation, which would corroborate the thesis that a higher number of cases per thousand is noted by countries with higher testing while the same would give a lower deaths per case rate, and this is not really seen, however the cases per thousand figure range is skewed by the outlier San Marino.
2. Which segues into the second point, that the range of cases per thousand is very broad indeed, even when counting only the top 100 countries on the medals table for number of deaths so far. San Marino is a clear outlier, Andorra also, but below 5/1000 they start to come thick and fast, but still there are those in the top 100 even which are coming in at fewer than 0.25/1000. A high population country like Tanzania is able to record 0.1, just under the top 100 by deaths, and within the top 100, India and China seem to pull the scale average down strongly with 0.07 and 0.06 cases per thousand respectively. For the Indians reading that’s 70 cases per lakh, by the way. This is a sizeable range of incidence of cases and seems to have little correlation to geography or economy. Certainly economy is almost working against this statistic, as some of the highest sufferers are also high GDP/capita countries. The total of that column is meaningless as it is a sum of those percentages, it should of course show the world average which is 0.61, kept so low by India and China’s 0.06 and 0.07 C/Th readings, given that they together make up 36.4% of the world’s population but only 2.4% of the global deaths so far.
3. The other observation I would like to make is the range of deaths per case reported, even among countries of big populations and big incidences. Belgium at 16.37% is the highest, but is not even an outlier as you have France, UK and Italy following not far behind. From the bottom of the graph we see a world average of 6.62% and most countries have kept below that figure, with Poland at 5% and Germany at 4.6%. The figures which may surprise us though come from Russia at 0.93% and Saudi Arabia, UAE, Belarus and some others also claiming results below 1% fatalities on Covid cases.
Either these people have different biologies – I know the phrase in Russian “Что русскому здоровье, то немцу смерть” (ie “what’s healthy for the Russian means death for the German”) but I don’t take it quite that literally – or else they are classifying their diseases quite differently.
Now if this were a real Olympic medal table, like the one they were supposed to be making in Japan right now, to prepare for a real international sporting event, and each nation made up its own rules for the way the games and sports should be done, it would be chaos, there would be accusations of cheating and the result would not be something that anyone could make any fair conclusions from.
This is the problem here – we may be able to get our act together internationally on how to play silly games and run around a field, but on an important matter of this consequence, where we have swept the Olympics aside over it, as well as our livelihoods and educations of our children and their futures, we cannot get any consensus.
Russia is saying “if someone has something that would probably have killed them in the foreseeable future anyway, and this death has only been hastened by Covid, then we still say that that other illness is the reason for the death”, while most western countries are saying “if a person dies having Corona virus, then they die OF Corona virus, and many have co-morbidities”. Many in the West may well agree with Russia’s take, or may say that the truth is in the middle, which is probably where Germany is defining it. Either that or they have really good treatments they are not telling us about, the rotters.
Before blaming these countries, though, consider closer to home, the misreporting of care home deaths first in France, then in the UK which needed correction. And then the refusal by the UK or the Netherlands to published “recovered” statistics and therefore not allow the active cases curve on a world basis to assume the reassuring parabola it has taken on in many countries. There seems to be no consensus on what a “recovered” case looks like, but if we don’t have that information then we cannot make important decisions, on an international basis, including when to allow travel between countries.
Countries with similar incidences, similar approaches to containment and are at a similar point in the curve may be able to open borders between each other on an exclusive basis, gradually gathering other countries in, but at present there is little basis for doing so as the way these things are even talked about and measured is inconsistent. This is a number one lesson to learn in the very near future, so that the second half of this crisis is managed a bit better than the first half.
If it isn’t, then it won’t be the second half, but the greater part of it. And with very good management it could be that we are well pasrt half-way.
Now the thing is, it calls for international co-operation. The EU had no international health policy simply referring all that back to the WHO. The WHO lost credibility with a number of countries. Now with or without the WHO there will be calls for more international level health government, and this is a very easy way for world government to push one stage nearer. A world government which belongs only to Christ but which will be first assumed by the Usurper, as we know from very ancient texts.
The speed at which this could now go, and the technology that can be applied with its implications in terms of freedoms and invigilation by the State, is something all too recognisable to anyone versed in scripture.
Original YT playout date: 5 December 2008
So, in this second part in a series of occasional films about the city I live in, we take the camera for a walk through Ochota and up to the centre via the old Ghetto.
Read the rest of this entry
Wczoraj napisałem artykuł tutaj, i dostałem prośbę o jego tłumaczeniu w język polski.
Zamiast jego tłumaczyć w całości, chciałem zaprezentować główne punkty w języku polskim, ewentualnie w innych językach.
1. Ludzie w tej chwili dzielą się różnymi memami w socjalnych mediach, i są różne posty oskarżające raz Chiny, raz Amerykę, raz kogoś innego za Koronawirus. Są idee, ze wirus nie jest realny, lub nie jest taki poważny, lub jest bardziej poważny. Każdy ma jakiś argument mniej lub bardziej przekonujący, nie mogą wszyscy być prawidłowe, aczkolwiek może być tak, że troche prawdy jest w większości z nich. Mniejsza z tym. Nie ma sensu szukać w innych ludziach źródło wszystkich problemów naszej ziemi, powinniśmy raczej spojrzeć na własne niedociągnięcia i mieć trochą samokrytyki, no i spojrzeć na to, co ja mogę zrobić, aby ulepszyć sytuację.
2. Tez zauważyłem, ze wśród tych mem i artykułów znajduję się niemało hejtu na religię, bądź to na ewangelicznych chrześcijan, bądź to na katolików, na muzułmanów, no i oczywiście na Żydów, tak jak zawsze. Nie musimy zbytnio czuć się zobowiązani zmienić się aby tym ludziom się spodobać, bo wiadomo, nigdy nie będą nas lubić, ale co najmniej mamy obowiązek nie dawać ze swej strony usprawiedliwienia ich nienawiściom.
3. Przytaczałem ze 40 jest liczbą używaną 159 razy w Biblii i w historii człowieka na okresy próby, czyszczenia, kwarantanna od dżumy i tak dalej. Nawet tu dodam, ze po rosyjsku słowo “srok” i “sorok” pochodzą z tatarskiego wyrazu, dlatego nie ma tego w języku polskim (sroki tutaj są łaciatymi wronami o długich ogonach, a nie terminy, ani nie idą w grupach 40stu osobników). Najdłuższy post miał 40 dni, i to było zrobione w odłączeniu od społeczeństwa, i tak praktykowane przez Mojżesza, Eliasza oraz sam Pana Jezusa Chrystusa. Element samotności, czyli bycie “w pustyni” był w tych postach taki sam ważny element, jak ograniczenia jedzenia lub picia. Również powiedziałem ze mimo ze Wielki Post w tradycji katolicyzmu jest PRZED Wielkiej Nocy, sam Jezus powiedział (Mateusz 9:15) ze Jego ucznia będą poscic wtedy kiedy Jego nie ma – no i chyba miedzy Pesach i Shavuot (Wielkiej Nocy i Zielonym Świętem)jest 50 dni, z których jeszcze ze 10 dni Jezus jawił się uczniom swoim przed wniebowstąpieniem Swoim, a potem czas na 40 dniowy post przed rozdawaniem Duch Świetego na Shawuoth/Pentecost/Zielone Święta.
4. W tym roku, Ramadan kończy się 23 maja, 40 dni po Wielkiej Nocy. To daje wierzącym w Boga Stworzyciela unikalną szansę, wspólne ćwiczenia pokory i ubłaganie laski na ludzkość poprzez wspólny post, z element ważnym odosobnienia (czyli bez iftarów poza bezpośrednią rodziną, z pozostawaniem w domu jako dzisiejszy symbol pustyni) i z takimi ograniczeniami jedzenia jakie każdy uważa za siebie, wspólny element jest pozostanie w domu w ścisły sposób, i używanie ten czas na modlitwę. Ja nie jestem fanem ani zwolennikiem teologii Islamu, uważam ze brakuje w nim przede wszystkim prawidłowe miejsce Jezusa Chrystusa, ale tym niemniej Bóg widocznie jeszcze ochronił ich ponieważ biorą pewne rzeczy na poważnie a my pewne rzeczy niepoważnie, mimo ze sam Jezus ich instruował, rzeczy takie jak klękniecie przed Bogiem, jak posty, jak dawanie jałmużn i wiele inne rzeczy które jednak nie są fakultatywnym elementem chrześcijańskiego życia, mimo ze od nich nie należy nasze zbawienie, lecz jedynie w Jego świętej krwi. Zwę dlatego do imamow i leaderów Koscioł i synagogow do wspólnego postu od 13 kwietnia do 23 maja, włączając Ramadan. Zwę do producentów gier terytorialnych o dawanie madelow dla niegrania podczas tego czasu, chodzi mi o takich gier typu Ingress czy Pokemon go, i wzywam do ateistów również, żeby nie były gorszy od nas, skoro chcą myśleć, ze wiedza lepiej. Nawet jeżeli ktoś trzymał Wielki Post, to było by bardzo dobrze akurat w tym roku zrobić również taką dyscyplinę duchową na rzecz ubłagania Bogu o zaprzestanie zarazy.
5. Również powiedziałem ze są nadzieje naukowe – powody do kojarzenia wyników szczepienia Bacillus Calmette-Guerin na gruźlicę z mniejszą umieralnością koronowirusem. Inne leki tez zaczęli pokazać bardzo dobre efekty w Australii i w Ameryce. Im więcej dajemy naukowcom szanse myśleć i sprawdzać, i liniom dostawy czas na produkcji i dostarczenia rozwiązań, tym bardziej można ratować życia i mieć nadzieję na sprawny powrót do normalności, jakiej mieliśmy przed zarazą, albo do czegoś bliskiego.
6. Unia Europejska pokazała w tym wszystkim opłakany brak dowództwa i pomocy Włochom, Hiszpanii, itd. Wręcz przeciwnie ich Wysoki Sąd mówił, że Polska i inne kraje tego regionu musza przyjąć uchodźców wbrew brzmienia Akordu Dublinskiego, oraz wbrew chęci Polaków. nie wiem czy projekt UE jest w stanie przeżyć tak nieudane zachowanie się ich dowódców podczas epidemii. Ale jeszcze jest szansa, aby zrobili cos godnego: powinni fundować powtórzenie tego roku szkolnego dla każdego ucznia od pierwszego roku kindergartenu aż do PhD. powinni powiedzieć ze ten rok był egzamin in blanko tylko, a każdy powtórzy ten rok w następnym roku akademickim. Od tego czasu każdy rocznik w edukacji powinien być o rok starzy. Przecież żyjemy dłużej, mamy pracować dłużej do emerytury o dwa lata, ekstra rok na fazie przygotowawczej wobec tego jest tylko czymś współmiernym do tego. taka inwestycja znaczy, ze każdy dziecko przyszłości będzie dojrzalszy, w stanie więcej skorzystać z każdej klasy. I, bardzo waznie, brak wychodzących na rynek pracy latem będzie pozwolić na szybkie angażowanie z powrotem bezrobotnych tego kryzysu. Edukacja jest najważniejszą inwestycją cywilizowanych krajów, a UE stworzyła system ogólnych “kredytów” w edukacji. Więc tylko UE może to zrobić i fundować i to jest to jedyne teraz, co mogliby zrobić, aby usprawiedliwić ich dalsze istnienia po tym opłakanym braku dowództwa w kryzysie dotychczas.
Proszę o korektę mojej polszczyzny i/lub stosowanie się do tematyki. Proszę oczywiście również o subsrybowanie się do tego blogu mimo, ze rzadko publikuję po polsku.
A brave new world? Or a cowardly one? Two solutions to this crisis, one spiritual and for individuals, the other for the EU and public policy
If you are a liberal, the following is probably the most reactionary thing you will have recently read, so read it and bleat all you like. I dont regard your whining as a reason to withhold truth.
A few days ago I wrote an article here entitled “How to end this epidemic, fast!” on this site.
In it, I spoke of the responsibility individuals have, especially believing individuals, to practice introspection and mortification of the flesh, namely fasting (in which I include the practice of staying a season in isolation at home, as a kind of fasting, which may or may not be accompanied by dietary or clothing restrictions) and pointed out how quarantine is a Bible idea (indeed the 40 days which quarantine literally means, despite the words itself being coined in 13th Century Venice, are reflected in the Bible). In his excellent book “Fasting” Franklin Jentezen points out how the longest fasting period is 40 days coinciding with the longest life cycle of the disease-causing flies that upset the human condition.
I am not one to go seeking a lot of numerology in Scripture, although more powerful intellects than mine have tried to do that, including Isaac Newton. Had anything much been obtained by doing so, I get the feeling Newton would have got to it before most of us.
Nevertheless, the number 40 is mentioned in the Bible no less than 159 times in Scripture, and often in contexts of trying, testing and judgement. Fasting for 40 days and – note this well, in seclusion – was practised by Moses and Elijah and Jesus Christ himself, and there are also the cases of the 40 days and nights of rain in the Flood, the 40 days of mockery by Goliath, the largest number of lashes that could be administered was forty (Deuteronomy 25:3), the Israelites were under the Philistines 40 years and in the Book of Jonah 40 days was the deadline given to Nineveh to repent.
This is why we ought to observe a strict fast and seclusion throughout April and most of May. The time between Easter Sunday (the close of Lent, another 40 day fast most have failed to observe, include those who claim to believe in it) and the end of Ramadan this year is about 40 days. May 23rd is the last day of Ramadan this year when a third of the world will be fasting, and so Easter Monday morning would be the beginning of 40 days ending on that night.
My belief is, that if all believing people observe at this time the fast of seclusion, in keeping apart for forty days, with dietary restrictions (exact details on these may vary), that it would be a certain way to stem the flood of this virus, or at least would put believing people out of the frame for it. Unbelieving people have been sharing memes showing Christian, Muslim and Jewish acts of worship with a view to blaming religion and the practice of faith in God for this epidemic.
Now I am not a big ecumenist. I have plenty of theological differences even with other Protestants, let alone non-Protestant Christians and I will be honest and say that Islam for me is not valid as a way to please God because Jesus in Islam is just a good man and a prophet, while we know that He is very God who entered His own Creation as part of it, so that in that way, the way of suffering on our behalf, he could bring us out into a perfect fellowship with Him and the Father, and the only way to do this is by repentance and faith in his death on the cross and resurrection.
That having been said, I believe God has been merciful to many Muslims, partly because they have been more concerned about maintaining righteousness in civil life than we have. They have not killed millions of their sons with abortions and thus God has ordained in His justice that in spite of their rejection of Jesus they still could come into previously Christian lands and their children would fill the vacuum created by the murdered children of those who think falsely that they are Christian. So in countries which have had 7 million abortions in the last forty years, you have 7 million Islamic immigrants, in countries where you had 5 million abortions you have five million Muslims coming in, and in places like Poland which have had very few abortions, they had very few Muslim immigrants because there is no vacuum for the sons of the desert to fill.
This ought to be told very clearly by Poland, Hungary, etc to the High Court judges of the EU who ruled that, despite the current coronavirus crisis and the fact that in Greece they have become a vector of this and other infections, and have breached the borders of that country by violence, we should be accepting quotas. In doing so they risk a Visegrad Four rebellion, with Poland, Hungary and probably the Czech s and Slovaks if not other nations from the Eastern side simply deciding to make their own Brexit Referendum with the other choice on the ballot sheet being a union along less dictatorial lines with each other and the UK and any others (most likely Italy which has already begun the process of taking down EU flags from public places) who care to join.
As it is the EU have not shown any solidarity or leadership during this crisis at all. All they have managed to do is to faff and do a newly-clothed Emperor dance in front of its remaining citizens, telling them what to do but offering no help. Showing that they have learned nothing at all from Brexit.
Back to that line of thought in a minute, first I would like to conclude the thought about the value of a Christian-Muslim joint fast. We do not get saved by observing fasts. But fasting is a display of sorrow and contrition which adds power to our lives and to our prayers. I would suggest that if Christians are willing to repeat a Lenten style fast after Easter [after all, Jesus said Himself to the disciples of John the Baptist that His disciples would fast after the Bridegroom was gone and not before (Matthew 9:15), so it is hard to understand why the Lenten tradition precedes Easter] including staying secluded as part of this 40 day fast and Muslims are willing to start Ramadan early this year and also give themselves the additional burden of not visiting outside their nuclear household for iftars (in exchange for this consideration they should possibly relax some other stringency, for example drinking water during the day), then I am telling you that I understand from the Spirit of God that this plague will be stayed regardless of what the ungodly do. This is not one of the seven plagues of Revelation 15 and 16. We are apparently not in that period yet, although it may be in our lifetime. Probably this episode will move those events one step closer, or more than one. But that is a separate matter.
I hope that imams and Christian leaders and Rabbis will support a common imploring of God in fasting and seclusion for forty days between Easter and the end of Ramadan. I am putting this out in the hope that it will be heard, and will be the basis of much prayer to God and attention to the discipline of our flesh and carnality, and of repentance, repentance leading to faith and the obtaining of God’s forgiveness in Jesus.
A second, more prosaic call is to the EU leaders generally.
The best think that you can do in the area of public policy, having done really next to nothing so far for all your people, is to declare that this academic year will simply not exist, it will be repeated next year. Whether we are talking about Kindergarten or people in the final year of their post doctorate diplomas. All the way through. They should be told that the EU will pick up the tab for their tuition fees and maintenance and everyone in schools at this time will be given that year again.
The absence of school leavers and university graduates in 2020 will rapidly serve to soak up the mass unemployment currently taking place and avoid its aggravation in the Summer.
Henceforth, children would enter each phase of education one year later and go through their O level or GCSE level equivalent a year later and do their university stage a year later. This would enable these younger people to get much more out of their education, especially those years of education after the point at which they have expressed a preference for one or other course of studies or “pillar”. It would enable ore maturity of those entering tertiary education, thus greatly increasing return on investment in the sector. It would make the preparatory phase of life maintain its proper proportions to the working life and retirement phase, both of which are strained by the prospect of increased longevity. This would be the way to get a positive lasting legacy from the Coronavirus outbreak and turn a tragedy into an heroic and epic achievement of civilisation.
Have we got the courage to do this? Either of the things I am suggesting in this post?
Please share with as many people as you can. Maybe someone will listen, maybe someone will see the truth in what I have put forward today.
PS: one possible light in the tunnel for some places may be if people have had their BCGs
More analyses are appearing to see if there is a statistically significant link, in the meantime, I urge any readers of mine who have not had thie BCGs to get them if they can.
Ensuring good levels of sleep and Vitamins C and D together with Magnesium and Zinc and drinking lots of water are also sound advice, but these you can read in a lot of places, and people come to Huliganov.TV for original thoughts. Which is why there are so few of you here.
I noted today that someone had written the abbreviation “g/l” somewhere, and I wondered what the GoldList Method had to do with it.
It transpired that the abbreviation meant “gains by losses”. Someone wanted to calculate the ration of occasions a certain investment had gained over the month by the amount of times it had lost – irrespective of amount. This was a bit counterintuitive but the guy needs it to build a trading algorithm.
It seemed to me that “gains by losses” is actually not a bad description of our GoldList approach also. You first need to find out what your memory lost in order to give it a chance to gain it on the next pass, rather than spend time repeating what you know already. Mentioning no names but Anki and Supermemo are looking a bit shifty there in the back row, along with Duo and a few others…
The materials used for learning, although some are better than others, are usually not at fault, but rather our phobia of forgetting, which puts the learner off and they go through frenetic attempts to make jolly sure this forgetting business doesn’t happen to them. It is like trying to stop the Coronavirus, ie ain’t gonna happen. Instead we have controlled forgetting, just as we are having a controlled and monitored level of getting the virus planned as we go through a summer of relaxing and then reimposing lockdowns and social distancing measures, whilst behind the scenes making as much equipment as we can and trying to get a vaccine and better tests.
Interesting how “14 days” has been in the news a lot, although the correct timing for quarantining for a population lockdown should be 40 days. This is borne out by Bible revelation and human history. What we actually need is a common fast, maybe even with the Muslims whom I would recommend to extend Ramadan this year and start it early so that we can fast to God for 40 days and stay at home and pray that his hand will be stayed. Atheists are blaming Christians and Muslims alike for the outbreak and they may even be correct, but not in the way they think…
We forget that fasting is commanded by the words and example of Jesus, we forget that 40 days is a period mentioned in the Bible dozens of times in both Old and New Testament, with Noah, Moses and many others using it. There are also 40 years in the wilderness. It is a healing number. We forgot all about it. Even Catholics who do have a joint large fast at Lent for 40 days usually forget what they are doing within days and out come the things they were meaning to give up. Is it any wonder this epidemic coincides so closely with the Lenten period? Where we forget, there there will be reminding. And with the reminding, learning.
So don’t be afraid of forgetting. It’s part of the learning process. Getting sick is part of the healing process, or if not being sick then imposing flesh-curbs on oneself, by the discipline of fasting.
Stay safe, and please use the sedentary time in isolation to push up your results above the targets originally made, this is the best thing you can do in this situation, other than to fast, read the Bible and pray, of course, and sing hymns of praise to the Lord. Certainly I wouldn’t want learning to get in the way of that, to everything there is a season.
Fasting doesn’t add to your salvation, it is by faith in the person and work of Jesus Christ alone, but still it adds a lot of blessing. It strengthens prayer and it strengthens the organism. Jesus Christ took it seriously and His 40 day fast is right at the beginning of His ministry. Even now He is fasting, but this fast of His may be nearing its end “I will not drink from this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s Kingdom”.
People are full of blaming governments for this, other religions for that, the Chinese here, the Americans there, the British, the Swedes, etc etc. People should look to their own fauts and putting a curb on themselves. Dietary or clothing restrictions are a way of doing his and quarantine or social distancing is also, and one which has been known about for a long time. We should curb our eating with our curb in movement. In fact these two go hand in hand unless you want to gain weight while being sedentary.
This is how to end the current epidemic, fast. If all Christians and Muslims do it, staying at home, extending the period and forgoing the pleasant aspect of the iftar, then I know for a certainty that the outcome will be much better than it otherwise would be, and furthermore thise who despise the very idea of God will have no more occasion to criticise us and blaspheme the more against God. They of course will anyway, but at least we will not have given them occasion. We will be clear.
This week’s ruling in the UK House of Lords ruling that informal Muslim marriages which don’t get registered with the state won’t be treated as marriages on a par with those which are so registered, provoked the usual knee-jerk squealing by those who think that Muslims are being systematically victimised by horrible right-wing Christians, namely the Muslim pressure groups themselves in dischordant chorus with their Haw-Havian leftist enablers.
This post sets out to explain how they are in fact being treated exactly the same as everyone else, in fact many right-wing Christians have it worse than they do in countries they themselves run.
If a person has a marriage in their Church, Mosque, Temple or Synangogue and doesn’t register it with a nation state, then nation states won’t recognise them. Nation it is written, shall speak peace unto nation, and thus it is, as the Propesy says. The world has been divided as a result of the Napoleonic era and the emergence of the modern times rather than the middle ages, (the “last times” in which we currently see more and more preparations for the emergence of the Antichrist as described in Scripture) into relatively secular states in which both royal families and also religious institutions are free to exist and may be incorporated into the paraphenalia of states, but in fact we have these things called countries and these are boxes based largely around land and borders, with economies and governments and thei systems of taxing, spending, legilating and defending themselves which they devise.
Each one has a legal system, a flag, a system of government more or less democratic (although the best are defective) a national anthem, a dialling code, an internet country suffix, an ISO abbreviation. New countries get these by sending off to the UN for a “new countries kit” which contains a constitution, a dialling code, a flag, a national anthem, and an internet .tld and this costs $3999.99 plus postage and packing, although I can probably arrange a discount for you, if you have a new country and need to watch your budget.
And each country deals on a peer-to-peer basis with other countries. They are not dealing with churches or mosques or temples or synagogues, any more than they are dealing with tropical fish clubs or local restaurant karaoke clubs. If you want to get married in a Church, or a Mosque or a Karaoke club, you can. You are free to do that. You can get married in a Jehovahs’ so-called Witnesses so-called Kingdom Hall, in a Masonic Lodge (which is more or less the same thing but more public) or in a Spearmint Rhino if you like. You are free to do all these things. But if you want the recognition of a State for your marriage then you have to do it in a way that either the State you live in recognises, or from another State which mutually recognises the marriages.
Now if someone gets married in Saudi Arabia and has plural wives because that is all fine there, then actually the UK will recognise this as a foreign state did it even though you wouldn’t be able to enter multiple marriages in the UK. So it is not like we are not recognising Muslim marriages, but if you want to get amrried in this country then for it to be official it has to be done officially. And it is the same for all of us nobody is victeemising Muslims, sorry to tell you, because I know that will cost you tears of bewilderment and disappointment to find out to don’t have a valid basis for your usual whinging. In fact in most European counries the model looks like Poland, where you have to have a church and also a civil wedding even though the country is 93% Roman Catholic. Just getting married by the priest is not enough to be accepted by the State, just as Catholics would say that just marriage by the state doesn’t make it a sacrament. The reasons why treating marriage or the alternative in the catholic system of Ordination as a sacrament is bad theology in the first place is material for a whole ‘nother blogpost.
I’m a Calvinist, so for me marriage is not a sacrament, but a creation ordinance and “an holy estate of life” and the last time I looked, nikah was not a pillar of Islam either, and therefore you Muslims just like we Calvinists are married in the sight of God even if all we do is a civil ceremony. It’s not like we can put tinfoil around the Registry Office so that God cannot look in. So spare a thought for the poor Roman Catholics in Poland, they are the ones if anyone with a right to feel hard done by here.
Original YT playout date: 11 October 2008
Another case of where the silly music policy made me lose the entire sound track, and still the royalty free music they gave me to cover it took all the royalties from the film after all.
Read the rest of this entry
This is actually (according to heartfelt congratulations sent to me by my WordPress robot yesterday, celebrating my 1,000th post with a glass of robot prosecco) the 1,001st post so I should try to make it a good one, and in this cause I am indebted to a reader called Ywan, who left the following question on one of the pages here explaining the GLM:
Dear Mr. James,
I was wondering if the GLM would also be suitable for learning other things like historic dates. Do you have any experience with learning things with the GLM other than vocabulary? How well does it work?
Here’s my response, and I think it will be useful for all my readers, ergo, it is a post in its own right.
Dear Ywan, an excellent question.
I will be writing a section on this at length, to the book that these pages are the precursor to. I will also turn this answer into a full article for today’s blog.
The answer is that it really does work very well. Right now I am actually learning a large set of different topics including even mathematics (I don’t do the exercises from the book only the main worked exemplars and the explanations and instructions. The key here is to keep the headlist nice and loose and include whatever you are going to need in the future in it. This may, for some topics, mean that you even need to reproduce diagrams in the GoldList book. This for me was the biggest mental block until it dawned on me how best to do it. Let us say we are doing biology and the textbook has a nice diagram of the eye of the heart. In the headlist you make a pretty faithful copy, maybe even tracing it from the materials if it will fit, labels and all, and the number of lines that takes, that’s the line number we assume it deserves in the headlist.
When we come to the first distillation, we try to redraw the diagram with all the labels but we allow ourselves some compressions and abbreviations. I do find that a lot of D1 work on the non-language side is about compressing, abbreviating, omitting the repetitions you may have in the text which you didn’t notice to eliminate in the Headlist. The second distillation is usually the time when the labels which are obvious and the words remembered can be dropped out, the diagram more stylised, also made in a manner faster to draw, which can be a boon for examinations. Each time, that diagram will take fewer lines and maybe you can make the lines that it takes each time follow the same 30% reduction pattern that you expect from the non-diagrammatic parts of the GL work.
It’s actually pretty interesting to do. And it does tend to distil very well, because science is all about the a-ha moment, and running through the earlier parts of the text book by distilling what you did earlier before getting into a later section often refreshes all the bits you need to get that next a-ha moment all the more readily.
History dates also can be aha-ish. If you have a very bald list of almost random history dates, then maybe you have to put them over to the headlist like that in order to dispense with the materials. On distillation it is a question of grouping tchem in a more chroinological or thematic order, or finding a-has or other links between them. Sometimes you can imagine links that are purely fictional, for example Columbus sailed to the New World in 1492 which Lucia Pacioli invented double-entry bookkeeping in 1491, a year earlier, so you can imagine Columbus whiling away his time in the vessel trying to get his head around this new skill so that he would have a profession to come back to if there wasn’t a way to India that way after all, assuming he didn’t fall off. This can help us to remember what happened in what order, and also what was new at a time and what wasn’t. We make such a mental image not in a forced way, we merely think about what we are writing, not treating it just like lines set by a prefect for flicking ink at his back, we take an interest in how the events in the dates fit.
When learning history, we take advice from the maxim of Ralph Waldo Emerson:
“there is, properly, no history; only biography”
and concern ourselves with the lives of the characters we encounter there, and the interplay between them, whether they met, who would have been older and by how much, what they though of one another, etc. Then the dates start to come more alive, and this become the stuff of more permanent synapsę building. Learning dates as an ars gratia artis exercise will also work in the GLM, but will be less pleasant and less effective. One should include full dates in the headlist, but one should ask oneself whether, to build a very good panoramic view of history, one really needs the exact date, maybe month or even season of the year is adequate for some matters. If we look at how history is buidling now, we can almost talk about how the Brexit issue looked more decided in the Autumn of the year than in the Spring of 2019, but the key date of this is not clear. Certainly the election which gave Boris Johnson a decisive victory is known, but I already cannot remember which date of December that was, only that it was around the middle of the month and so it probably was with contemporaries of the events you may be studying in your history books.
Hope this helps.
Original YT playout date: 10 October 2008
Another fine show with Stu, Matt, JO and the gang, such stalwarts as Jason, Allan Caddick, Peter chapman et alia dramatis personae. Read the rest of this entry